The Great Western Loughs

(These pages are under construction)

Lough Corrib’s eastern shore

Annaghkeen Castle

Annaghkeen / Eanach Caoin Castle, probably built by the de Burgos in the early C13th, is nowadays surrounded by beautiful parkland;  it primarily comprises a square keep, the well-preserved 6ft thick outer walls of which contain passages leading to the upper apartments and the parapet. Some of the arches of the windows and doors are circular, and others pointed; but the entire structure was ingeniously constructed with undressed stones, on which a hammer or chisel was never used.

Clydagh near Headford

While Clydagh is a townland in its own right, extending outwards as a major headland into Lough Corrib, the name of the area known as Clydagh encompasses several townlands in the civil parish of Cargin.

These townlands formed the core of a landed estate of some 1400 acres centered around the Georgian mansion, known as Clydagh House which still stands today in 140 acres of woodland and parkland on the lake shore. The estate was owned for over 300 years by members of the Staunton and later Lynch-Staunton family. Clydagh Estate consisted of the townlands of Clydagh, Kilbeg, Ballynacregga, Cargin and Luggawannia. These today still form the heart of Clydagh.

Cargin cemetery.

The area has its own National School, founded 150 years ago by the local landlord, George Lynch-Staunton, and the present building dates from 1951. It replaced an older building which stood for over 100 years adjacent to Cargin Cemetery on a hillside overlooking Lough Corrib.

Cargin castle

Several hundred meters south-west of the cemetery stands the splendidly restored Norman castle of Cargin. Dating from the late 13th century, it was restored in the 1970s and once more dominates the lake from it’s high vantage point. Offshore, in Cargin Bay is situated the island of Illauncarbery, now overgrown but which contains an ancient stone ringfort, still substantially intact and which probably dates from a period before the birth of Christ.

Kilbeg Pier

Kilbeg Pier is a short distance away and it marks the narrowest point of Lough Corrib, being but a half mile to the farther western shore. It was a stop-off point for Steamers that plied their trade on the Corrib, between Galway and Cong, in the 19th century

Derry Quay Lodge. a well-established shooting / fishing lodge in wooded grounds on the shore of Lough Corrib, is close to the village of Cross on ByRoute 14.

 Lough Corrib’s western shore


Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Ireland and it's history, culture, travel, tourism and more!